French Onion Soup
Buttery, golden onions and melted cheese are at the center of this classic French onion soup recipe. Great as appetisers anyday!
- 10 min Preparation Time
- 50 min Cooking Time
- 4 Serv. Recipe Serves
Ingredients & Method
- 4 large Onions, chopped
- 2 tsps Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 litre Beef stock made from 2 1/2 KNORR BEEF CUBES
- 4 Slices of baguette or any other crusty bread
- 40g Grated Gruyere, Swiss or Cheddar cheese Pepper to taste
- Heat the oil and butter in a deep saucepan and saute the onions for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat and cook onions for 20-30 minutes or until they turn golden brown; stir frequently to avoid burning.
- Move the onions to the soup pot, add the stock, season with pepper and simmer, partially covered, for another 20 minutes.
- Toast the bread in the oven or a toaster. Spoon the soup into ovenproof serving dishes, top with bread and sprinkle with cheese.
- Put under the broiler for a few minutes until golden brown. Serve immediately.
Find out what's everyone saying