Charcoal Salted Egg Custard Bun (Liu Sar Bao)
Hop on the salted egg yolk food craze and impress the crowd with our charcoal custard bun with salted egg filling! We just love watching all that creamy, yellow filling ooze out of the soft charcoal bun!
- 1440 min Preparation Time
- 60 min Cooking Time
- 3 Serv. Recipe Serves
Ingredients & Method
- 300 g Pau Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 6 g Instant yeast
- 60 g Castor Sugar
- 30 g Shortening
- 140 ml Water
- 1 tbsp Charcoal Powder (optional)
- Liu Sar Custard:
- 270 g Knorr Salt Powder
- 200 g Butter (room temperature)
- 70 g Custard Powder
- 70 g Milk Powder
- 180 g Evaporated Milk
- 270 g Icing Sugar
- Pour all dough ingredients (except shortening and water) into a mixing bowl. Turn on the mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add shortening and water gradually. Beat for 4 mins under medium speed. Cover dough with a wet cloth and let rise for an hour.
- Knead dough into a long roll and divide it into 12 portions or 100 g per portion.
- Flatten each dough portion. Place liu sar filling in the centre and wrap into a ball-like shape.
- Let it prove until it doubles in size.
- Steam buns for 15 mins.
- Liu Sar Custard: Mix all ingredients (except icing sugar) thoroughly.
- Add icing sugar and mix gently.
- Chill overnight.
- Scoop custard and shape it into balls of 20 g each.
Find out what's everyone saying